Snowscootersafari to “Little Russia"
in Barentsburg, 2 days
Join us on 2-days safari adventure to “Little Russia on Svalbard”, inaccessible otherwise than by snowmobile. You follow the traces of the famous Arctic explorers, get known to the stunning history of the Russian mining settlement and Russian traditions and have a unique tour to the mine which is still in operation and experience the everyday life of a miner.
Day 1. Longyearbyen - Todalen - Bødalen - Colesdalen - Skiferdalen - Passdalen - Grøndalen - Barentsburg
After breakfast and check-out from your hotel we pick you up around 10:00 at your place of accommodation and our guide will take you to the Expedition Centre Russki Dom for a briefing. We will give you some info on the planned route and update on the weather forecast. We provide solid and warm snowmobile suits. After safety briefing on how to drive snowmobiles we are equipped and ready to discover Little Russia on Svalbard in spectacular Arctic wilderness.
We start heading through the narrow valleys Todalen and Bodalen. Having made at least a dozen unique pictures in a couple of hours we pass along Grønfjord in the midst of magniﬁcent mountain landscapes, to Cape Finneset and further on to Barentsburg – a charming Russian mining community.
Barentsburg is the Russian «capital» of Svalbard. It is a town of Arctic stories written by Dutch explorers, pomors, Norwegian trappers, American and German merchants, adventurers, Soviet builders of communism and Russian miners. Barentsburg was founded in 1921 by the Dutch as a coal-mining settlement. Since 1931 it has been under the State Trust «Arcticugol» administration. The population is approximately 500 people.
• Upon arrival in Barentsburg - checking-in at the hotel «Barentsburg».
• Guided tour around the settlement during which we visit our souvenir shop and one of the northernmost Norwegian post office where you can send postcards from 78 North latitude to all over the world
• Visit to the ArtArcticGallery and displays telling on Svalbard and Arctic discovery. Explore the unique object collections of the Pomor hunters from 15-19 centuries.
• Dinner in the bar, restaurant and brewery Red Bear with the tasting of a locally made beer and Russian cuisine specialties served
Snowmobiling 70 km, 3 – 3.5 hrs
Day 2. Visit to the mine and more Arctic adventures: Barentsburg – Cape Heer – Coles Bay – Fardalen - Longyearbreen – Longyearbyen
• Early in the morning we offer you a tour to the Mine (paid additionally). It is one and the only tour into the working mine in the world! At first we get familiar to safety instructions, change our cloth and take miner’s equipment. Guided by a professional miner the tour starts at the wooden gallery with short insight of the mining history, then through the main entrance we go underground and visit two mine galleries.
• Breakfast at the hotel
• Free time. We can recommend variable optional activities:
- Visit husky farm. It is an unique tourist attraction where under one roof we have gathered dogs of main Arctic sled breeds: Siberian husky, Samoyed, Yakut laika, Alaska malamute. Our friendly and joyful dogs are waiting for your visit. Moreover we provide dog sledding.
- Visit our classes in traditional Pomor handicrafts and make a unique souvenir of your own
• Lunch in the hotel
• Snowmobiling Barentsburg- Coals bay (Colesbukta)- Fardalen- Longyearbyen
Snowmobiling 60 km, 4 -5 hrs
Travel Dates in 2021
06.02 - 07.02
13.02 - 14.02
20.02 - 21.02
27.02 - 28.02
06.03 - 07.03
13.03 - 14.03
20.03 - 21.03
27.03 - 28.03
03.04 - 04.04
10.04 - 11.04
17.04 - 18.04
24.04 - 25.04
01.05 - 02.05
6 190 NOK
2 790 NOK
Extra charge for accommodation in SINGLE room:
The Price Includes:
Accommodation in twin/dbl rooms
Activities according to the itinerary
Snowmobile rental (Ski-doo Expedition 600/ Yamaha Ventura/ Lynx Commander 600), fuel
Rental of winter overalls, boots, gloves and a helmet
Insurance covering research and rescue, evacuation costs in case of emergency
The Price Does Not Include:
Flight to/from Longyearbyen
Alcohol drinks and dishes/drinks beyond the menu
Tips to the guide
Tour to the mine
Minimum number of participants - 2 pers.