Little Russia in Barentsburg, 2 days
Barentsburg – Little Russia on Svalbard, a town of the Arctic stories where you will warm up with a heat of hospitality and get to know old traditions of Russian hunters from the North.
Program duration: 2 days / 1 night
Norwegian- and English-speaking guides will accompany you the whole tour from start to finish.
Small groups with no more than 6 persons each.
Day 1. Saturday. Longyearbyen - Barentsburg
- 08:30 Pick up at your hotel in Longyearbyen to our expedition center "Russkiy Dom".
Briefing about the tour program, safety rules and trying on the equipment.
- 10:00 Transfer to the harbour. Boat trip by open RIB boats PolarCirkel from Longyearbyen to Barentsburg.
PolarCirkel is an 8-meter-long boat of high endurance and created by Norwegian shipbuilders specifically for marine passages in the Arctic. The boats are equipped with a large power engine Yamaha (200 HP), echo sounders, emergency beacons and marine radio communication. Therefore, we provide special Arctic rescue suits by Norwegian brand Hansen. It will keep you warm, protect from the wind and give a boost of confidence during the boat trips.
- Arrival in Barentsburg and check-in in the hotel "Barentsburg".
- Guided tour around the settlement.
Barentsburg is the Russian «capital» of Svalbard. It is a town of Arctic stories written by Dutch explorers, pomors, Norwegian trappers, American and German merchants, adventurers, Soviet builders of communism and Russian miners. Barentsburg was founded in 1921 by the Dutch as a coal-mining settlement. Since 1931 it has been under the State Trust «Arcticugol» administration. The population is approximately 500 people.
- Optionally (at extra cost) you can visit our Husky-kennel and even try yourself as a real musher and go for the dog sledding on wheels along the shore of Grønfjorden to see ones of the most breathtaking views around. (5-7 km, at extra cost).
Our kennel in Barentsburg is unique because we have all the Arctic sled dog breeds. 80 dog booths on the Grønfjorden shore against the background of the magnificent Esmark glacier (Esmarkbreen). You will see sled dogs' rigid faces that right after the first sniffing turn to cheerful ones with bright little stars in their tender eyes. The kennel is a place where images of the pole exploring by Amundsen and Peary take on life right in front of your eyes. Both poles were explored by people with the help of sled dogs. Looking at these animals you can feel a sort of primaeval strength, goal-oriented power and natural authenticity.
- 18:00-19:00 Dinner in the bar, restaurant and brewery Red Bear with the tasting of a locally made beer brewed on the glacier lake water and the English malt. The northern cuisine specialities are served.
- It's never dark on Svalbard in summer, so optionally, after the dinner, it's possible to take a short walking tour around Barentsburg to get some fresh air and feel of the midnight sun before going asleep.
- Overnight in the hotel "Barentsburg".
Day 2. Sunday. Barentsburg - Longyearbyen
- Breakfast at the restaurant.
This day there is an option to visit the mine of Barentsburg (at extra cost).
It is the only operating coal mine in the world where you can get into with a tour. You can see a war between man and nature, mechanisms of getting into the ground depth and of mine reinforcement and collapse protection. You can learn how the coal is being produced and transported onto the surface. You can hear sounds of the underground mine core and feel a breath of the wind going up to the surface from the half-kilometre depth.
The first half of the day, it’s time to «catch your breath», to have a walk around Barentsburg or to choose one of our add-on activities (at extra cost):
- to take a short trip by kayaks in Grønfjorden;
Join us on a real adventure! – go for the kayaking trip inGrønfjorden. This will give you a chance to dip into the incredible ecosystem and to see it from an absolutely different angle. During the stop-over, you will meet places full of history going back to hundreds of years ago. Experienced guides will get you ready with the safety and technic rules, will tell stories and serve a delish picnic. For the safety and comfort in the water, we use special dry suits for the sea kayaking of the Canadian brand Level Six as well as all the necessary equipment.
- join a hiking tour up to satellite station installed on Olaf Mountain.
At the bottom of the mountain at height of 250 m above the sea level, there is a great viewing point where you will see a picturesque view on Barentsburg, Grønfjord and its west coast. You can also take a thermos and drinking a hot tea, admiring views of the Greenland sea and mountains, you can get acquainted with the history of the archipelago and the Arctic in general.
- Before the departure, you can visit a souvenir shop and post office of Barentsburg.
- Lunch at the restaurant.
- Boat trip by RIB boats PolarCirkel to Longyearbyen
Travel Dates in 2020
13.06 - 14.06
20.06 - 21.06
27.06 - 28.06
04.07 - 05.07
11.07 - 12.07
18.07 - 19.07
25.07 - 26.07
01.08 - 02.08
08.08 - 09.08
15.08 - 16.08
22.08 - 23.08
29.08 - 30.08
05.09 - 06.09
12.09 - 13.09
4 900 NOK/ pers
Extra charge for single accommodation
600 NOK/ person
The Price Includes:
Norwegian and English-speaking guides
- bus transfers from/to the place of your accommodation in Longyearbyen
- boat trips from Longyearbyen to/from Barentsburg
- 1 night in the hotel Barentsburg*
- 1 breakfast
- 2 complex lunches at the restaurant (3-course menu)
- 1 complex dinner
- 1 beer tasting
- guided tour around Barentsburg
Boat rent (RIB Polarcirkel), fuel
Rent of survival suite Helly Hansen and safety equipment incl. portable radio set, satellite phone, GPS-navigator, warning beacon, etc.
Insurance covering research and rescue, evacuation costs in case of emergency
The Price Does Not Include:
Flight to/from Longyearbyen
Single accommodation in the hotels in Barentsburg and Pyramiden*
*If you travel alone, only single accommodation is available for booking
Optional short trips and offers:
- visit to the husky kennel in Barentsburg
80 NOK/ per person
- dog sledding on wheels
690 NOK/per person
- kayaking trip in Grønfjorden
690 NOK/ per person
- tour to the mine
450 NOK/per person
- traditional Russian workshop in the handicraft centre
150 NOK/per person
- hiking tour up to satellite station installed on Olaf Mountain
190 NOK/per person
- visit to the Museum exhibition complex ArtArctica Gallery
50 NOK/per person
- other additional activities
- 1 dinner a-la-carte
- Alcohol drinks and dishes/drinks beyond the menu
Individual travel insurance policy
Tips to the guide