Back to USSR in Pyramiden, 2 days
To all the explorers and dreamers! Change your usual scenery, refresh your imagination.
To those who wish to discover the most extraordinary places in the world, you’ve never experienced anything alike.
Just within 2 days, you will visit a place of northernmost - Pyramiden.
With the panorama filled with massive Nordenskiold glacier, moraine, mountain tops, the whole Arctic dream is mirrored in Pyramiden.
It was one of the most populated settlements on Svalbard in the late XX century, and now you can easily get a feeling of the Soviet-style as the atmosphere and exteriors of the settlement have been accurately preserved.
2 days and you will have an amazing boat trip across the fjords with the great scenic beauty around and stay in the most unique place on the archipelago, which is a real historical «document» and an incredible piece of nature.
On Svalbard, weather conditions are changing quickly so that is why for the safety and comfort of our guests, the tour program might be changed regarding the itineraries and destinations.
English-speaking guide will accompany you the whole tour from start to finish.
Program duration: 2 days / 1 night
Day 1. Saturday.
Longyearbyen – Pyramiden. Nordenskiöld glacier
- 08:30 Pick up at your hotel in Longyearbyen to our expedition center "Russkiy Dom".
Briefing about the tour program, safety rules and trying on the equipment.
- 10:00 Transfer to the harbor.
Boat trip by Polarcirkel* to Pyramiden with a stop-over near Nordenskiöld glacier (Nordenskiöldbreen).
The glacier table is 300 km long and the wall strikes the imagination with its height and colors. You'll feel its «thunder» before you reach it.
*PolarCirkel is an 8-meter-long boat of high endurance and created by Norwegian shipbuilders specifically for marine passages in the Arctic. The boats are equipped with a large power engine Yamaha (200 HP), echo sounders, emergency beacons and marine radio communication. Therefore, we provide special Arctic rescue suits by Norwegian brand Hansen. It will keep you warm, protect from the wind and give a boost of confidence during the boat trips.
- Arrival in Pyramiden. Check-in in the hotel "Pyramiden".
- Lunch in the hotel restaurant.
- Guided tour around the settlement with a visit to the Bottle house.
Pyramiden is a settlement situated at the bottom of the mountain and was named after it. It was founded in 1911. It's a town located in between mountains, the huge glacier and moraine. In 1946 coal deposits started being opened up and in the 1970s-1980s a perfect socialism model system was built. In 1998 Pyramiden was frozen (preserved) but its infrastructure arranged in the Soviet period has come down to us. Anyone who has spent in Pyramiden at least a couple of hours makes a point in this place's uniqueness. Today the town is open and it grows as a tourist location. A boiler house, hotel, restaurant and film stock cinema have been renovated. Pyramiden attracts not only tourists but also film directors, journalists, free riders and bloggers from all over the world.
Bottle house is completely built of glass bottles. According to the Norwegian law, it's forbidden to toss out bottles (as well as any other garbage) on the archipelago. In the Soviet period, Pyramiden residents built a bottle house and turned the garbage into construction material. The result ended up being curious. Since then, the Bottle house has become one of the most well-known sights of Pyramiden.
- Movie show in the film stock cinema.
A blacken-out cinema hall and sounds of an old cine-projector dig the audience into the atmosphere of the past century. As of now, there have been two film stock projectors renovated and the number of cine films has reached around 2000 items. Although it had seemed impossible a couple of years ago, in autumn, 2018 the first movie show was arranged.
- 18:00-19:00 A-la-carte dinner in the hotel restaurant (at extra cost).
- Overnight in the hotel "Pyramiden".
Day 2. Sunday.
Pyramiden – Longyearbyen.
- Breakfast in the hotel restaurant.
- Hiking tour in Pyramiden surroundings (about 2-4 hours, included in the tour price). That would be a fine option to get out of the settlement as well as to see breathtaking landscapes and diversified reliefs.*
* Or instead, depending on the weather conditions, as an alternative option for trekking and hiking lovers, there is a possibility at extra cost to go for a daily tour to one of the mountain tops (about 5-7 hours, field lunch).
- Lunch in the hotel restaurant.
- You will have time to visit the souvenir shop with one of the northernmost Norwegian post offices where you can send a postcard to your nearest and dearest from the 78’40 Northern latitude.
- Return to Longyearbyen. Depending on the weather conditions, there will be a boat trip to Longyearbyen by a daily cruise-boat or open RIB boat Polarcirkel.
- Arrival in Longyearbyen
Approx time of arrival in Longyearbyen is at around 19:00.
- Transfer to the place of your accommodation in Longyearbyen
Travel Dates in 2020
13.06 - 14.06
20.06 - 21.06
27.06 - 28.06
04.07 - 05.07
11.07 - 12.07
18.07 - 19.07
25.07 - 26.07
01.08 - 02.08
08.08 - 09.08
15.08 - 16.08
22.08 - 23.08
29.08 - 30.08
05.09 - 06.09
12.09 - 13.09
... NOK/ pers
extra charge for single accommodation
The Price Includes:
- bus transfers from/to the place of your accommodation in Longyearbyen on Day 1 and Day 2
- boat trips from Longyearbyen to/from Pyramiden
- 1 night in the hotel Pyramiden
- lunches at the restaurants (3-course menu) on Day 1 and Day 2
- boat trip to Nordenskiöld glacier
- extended guided tour around Pyramiden
- visit to the Bottle House in Pyramiden
- movie show in the film stock cinema
- hiking tour in Pyramiden surroundings (about 2-4 hours)
Boat rent (RIB Polarcirkel), fuel
Rent of survival suite Helly Hansen and safety equipment incl. portable radio set, satellite phone, GPS-navigator, warning beacon, etc.
Insurance covering search and rescue, evacuation costs in case of emergency
The Price Does Not Include:
Flight to/from Longyearbyen
Optional short trips and offers:
- daily hiking trip to one of the mountain tops
... NOK/per person
- other additional activities
- dinner a-la-carte
- Alcohol drinks and dishes/drinks beyond the menu
Individual travel insurance policy
Tips to the guide