Back to USSR in Pyramiden, 2 days
To all the explorers and dreamers! Change your usual scenery, refresh your imagination.
To those who wish to discover the most extraordinary places in the world, you’ve never experienced anything alike.
Just within 2 days, you will visit a place of northernmost - Pyramiden.
With the panorama filled with massive Nordenskiold glacier, moraine, mountain tops, the whole Arctic dream is mirrored in Pyramiden.
It was one of the most populated settlement on Svalbard in the late XX century, and now you can easily get a feeling of the Soviet-style as the atmosphere and exteriors of the settlement have been accurately preserved.
2 days and you will have an amazing boat trip across the fjords with the great scenic beauty around and stay in the most unique place on the archipelago, which is a real historical «document» and an incredible piece of nature.
Norwegian- and English-speaking guides will accompany you the whole tour from start to finish.
Small groups with no more than 6 persons each.
Program duration: 2 days / 1 night
Day 1. Saturday.
Longyearbyen – Pyramiden
- 08:30 Pick up at your hotel in Longyearbyen to our expedition center "Russkiy Dom".
Briefing about the tour program, safety rules and trying on the equipment.
- 10:00 Transfer to the harbour.
Boat trip by Polarcirkel to Pyramiden
- Arrival in Pyramiden. Check-in in the hotel "Pyramiden".
- Lunch in the hotel restaurant.
- Guided tour around the settlement.
Pyramiden is a settlement situated at the bottom of the mountain and was named after it. It was founded in 1911. It's a town located in between mountains, the huge glacier and moraine. In 1946 coal deposits started being opened up and in the 1970s-1980s a perfect socialism model system was built. In 1998 Pyramiden was frozen (preserved) but its infrastructure arranged in the Soviet period has come down to us. Anyone who has spent in Pyramiden at least a couple of hours makes a point in this place's uniqueness. Today the town is open and it grows as a tourist location. A boiler house, hotel, restaurant and film stock cinema have been renovated. Pyramiden attracts not only tourists but also film directors, journalists, free riders and bloggers from all over the world.
- Movie screening in the film stock cinema.
A blacken-out cinema hall and sounds of an old cine-projector dig the audience into the atmosphere of the past century. As of now, there have been two film stock projectors renovated and the number of cine films has reached around 2000 items. Although it had seemed impossible a couple of years ago, in autumn, 2018 the first movie show was arranged.
- 18:00-19:00 A-la-carte dinner in the hotel restaurant (at extra cost).
- Overnight in the hotel "Pyramiden".
Day 2. Sunday.
Pyramiden – Longyearbyen.
- Breakfast in the hotel restaurant.
- Optionally, you can try out some of the possible day activities in Pyramiden (at extra cost): Bike trip to Blue lake, Trekking tour to the water station near Goose lakes or Walking tour to Petunia bukta. That would be a fine option to get out of the settlement as well as get familiar to Pyramiden spectacular surroundings, breathtaking landscapes and diversified reliefs.
- You will have time either to have a short walking tour around the town and to visit the souvenir shop with one of the northernmost Norwegian post offices where you can send a postcard to your nearest and dearest from the 78’40 Northern latitude.
- Lunch in the hotel restaurant.
- Return to Longyearbyen. Depending on the weather conditions, there will be a boat trip to Longyearbyen by a daily cruise-boat or open RIB boat Polarcirkel.
- Arrival in Longyearbyen
- Transfer to the place of your accommodation in Longyearbyen
Approx time of arrival in Longyearbyen is at around 19:00.
Travel Dates in 2020
13.06 - 14.06
20.06 - 21.06
27.06 - 28.06
04.07 - 05.07
11.07 - 12.07
18.07 - 19.07
25.07 - 26.07
01.08 - 02.08
08.08 - 09.08
15.08 - 16.08
22.08 - 23.08
29.08 - 30.08
05.09 - 06.09
12.09 - 13.09
6 300 NOK/ pers
Extra charge for single accommodation
800 NOK/ pers
The Price Includes:
Norwegian and English-speaking guides
- bus transfers from/to the place of your accommodation in Longyearbyen
- boat trips from Longyearbyen to/from Pyramiden
- 1 night in the hotel Pyramiden*
- 1 breakfast
- 2 complex lunches at the restaurants (3-course menu)
- guided tour around Pyramiden
- Movie show in the film stock cinema
Boat rent (RIB Polarcirkel), fuel
Rent of survival suite Helly Hansen and safety equipment incl. portable radio set, satellite phone, GPS-navigator, warning beacon, etc.
Insurance covering research and rescue, evacuation costs in case of emergency
The Price Does Not Include:
Flight to/from Longyearbyen
Single accommodation in the hotel Pyramiden*
*If you travel alone, only single accommodation is available for booking
Optional short trips and offers:
- daily walking trip in surroundings in Pyramiden
690 NOK/per person
- walking tour to Petunia bukta
350 NOK/per person, 3-5 hours
-bike trip to Blue lake
490 NOK/per person, 2 hours
- trekking tour or bike trip to the water station near Goose lakes
250 NOK/per person
- other additional activities
- 1 dinner a-la-carte
- Alcohol drinks and dishes/drinks beyond the menu
Individual travel insurance policy
Tips to the guide